Find Your Active Community Connector – West Essex
EMPLOYER: WECAN (West Essex Community Action Network)
LOCATION: West-wide but office base available in Harlow
HOURS: 35 per week-flexible hours (some weekend and evening work will be required)
SALARY: £24,204 per annum FTE (22,895 for 35 hours per week)
ANNUAL LEAVE: 26 days plus Bank Holidays pro rata
PENSION: NEST scheme
DURATION OF CONTRACT: Fixed Term 12 months from start
RESPONSIBLE FOR: N/A
RESPONSIBLE TO: Project Lead
Due to Covid-19, physical activity is now positioned as essential to health and wellbeing, Active Essex and Essex County Council are taking the bold step of creating a major new campaign called Find Your Active to ensure physical activity is a top priority for everyone.
The Find Your Active campaign celebrates the fact that everyone can enjoy the huge benefits of being active – it’s just about what is right for you. Find Your Active shines a light on all of the different ways and opportunities to get active around Essex.
The ‘Community Connector’ role will provide the eyes and ears on the ground for Active Essex. Working within local communities and alongside United in Kind Coaches, to map physical activity where it already exists and help facilitate it where it doesn’t.
The post is fixed term for 12 months.
Each Community Connector role will cover a defined area (district or quadrant), thereby creating a network to support for the Find Your Active campaign across Essex (excluding Thurrock and Southend). They will work with United in Kind and other organisations and groups to map existing physical activity provision and signpost residents to relevant activities. They will connect people, organisations and groups and will provide help with accessing organised and informal physical activities, including directly supporting those requiring more hand-holding to access these activities. Support will be through telephone, email or face to face. Connectors will work with Active Essex Relationship Hub teams, sharing knowledge and helping build an infrastructure of community support through Find Your Active delivery organisations and Ambassadors.
- Promote Find Your Active campaign, raising awareness in organisations and communities, working with communities, Active Essex hubs, local networks and existing organisations (including local groups and clubs and community leaders), to enable wide engagement in the campaign.
- Map existing activity and create networks to support the campaign. Create and connect local networks and opportunities to support Find your Active and increase opportunities for individuals to find the activity that suits them.
- Signpost and facilitate local physical activities and opportunities for increased involvement in the campaign and helping individuals and communities to find their active.
- Identify, recruit and mobilise volunteers for Find Your Active, including Ambassadors to support the campaign and increase uptake of activity.
- Provide case studies and monitoring data to the Community Engagement & Services Manager
Measures of Success:
- Participation by organisations, individuals and local networks in Find Your Active campaign. Attendance at relevant group or organisation meetings/events to promote campaign.
- Increased participation in physical activities by individuals. That may be through sign posting local activities or introducing individuals to a local activity, or the creation of a new activity (extension of existing).
- Recruitment of volunteers to support the campaign. These individuals will support the campaign and drive/deliver activities and initiatives that fit with Find Your Active.
- Increased number of physical activities available to individuals locally.
- Good working relationships with Active Essex Relationship Hubs, United in Kind Coaches for area, partners and individuals/communities.
- Attendance at local hub meetings and completion of recording on Active Essex CRM. Monthly monitoring form completed and submitted to Community Engagement and Service Manager.
- Relevant training attended by Connector and volunteers.